Saturday, August 27, 2011

School Shock

The thing that always amazes me is the amount of adjustment it takes to get back into the swing of things. I can spend hours upon hours of time in my classroom and at home getting things ready for the BIG DAY...and still not feel like I'm ready. That first week back we had those supposed, "teacher work days"--which were always filled with meetings. I never got a solid three hours of time to work unless it was on my own time. That's a shame.

On Monday, they came...ready or not. Once I saw their smiling faces, I was once again in my element. They all come in excited and scared and with tummies full of giant sized butterflies. They found their desks and put away their things. I always forget how much training I have to do to teach the kids to be independent. It takes a long time!! There are so many routines to show them and questions they all have. My voice isn't used to it, and by the end of the day I feel hoarse.

I also forget how many decisions we make in a day--little things, but none the less, it requires thought. My brain is tired. After what seems like a whole day of activities that we do, I glance at the clock--and it's only been two hours!! I already feel tired. The kids are all asking if it's lunch time yet, it isn't. I do what every teacher in my building does--when the going gets tough, go out for a recess!! We need the break as much as the kids do. Our school "rigor" does not allow for this all year long--only the first week of school. So next week, it's cold turkey--no extra recess.

We do lots of getting to know you things as we learn to function as a class. I have 29 kids this year. Way more than I've had in quite a few years. The desks and chairs seem packed in and there's not enough room to sit on the floor in a big circle when we do our calendar. When we walk down the hall, it seems like our line is never ending. I have a big group, but I know I will have a hard time parting with any of them IF we ever do get another teacher. I like them all already. I'm their teacher.

I forget how funny and cute the kids are. One boy was filling out a paper that asked the date he was born. He came up and told me he didn't know this. I told, "Tony, you just told me when your birthday was," He said, "Yes, I know my birthday but not when I was BORN." His little light bulb went on when I told him his birthday WAS when he was born! He scooted off with a satisfied look on his face. It never gets old helping kids make connections! This will be one of many chuckles I will get throughout the year.

We had a four day week of regular class and then on Friday was a testing day. I scheduled 12 kids to come in to do a reading test on that day. I ended up doing 15--more than I ever have in one day before! I am excited that I have a large number of good readers. I am just concerned about being able to meet with reading groups with this many kids. We have one more day of testing on Monday. This testing seems more grueling than a regular day of teaching.

I have to get used to grading papers and doing planning. I have been staying late at school after the kids have left to get things done. I will again get the "Sunday blues." That's because it's when I grade papers. I'm like the students...I have to build up my school stamina. It will take time, and we have a whole year to build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment