Thursday, August 18, 2011

Who Needs Sleep?

Thousands of us teachers started back to work yesterday, I was one among them. I entered into my classroom, with some dread. Where had the summer gone? It seemed like yesterday when I was scrambling to get it packed up for the summer. The summer is just a memory....but not yet faded. I long to jump on my bike to cruise down the South Platte trail or sit on my patio reading a great book.

Some people think teachers have it made because we have the summers off. I will admit that it s a perk to have that time off. However, I don't know how long I could have lasted as a teacher if I didn't have that long break to disconnect and re-energize. I learned to immerse myself in my play, as I do with my teaching in the Fall. Working with kids takes a great deal of energy--both physical and mental. That stamina has to be built up--just like we do with the kids.


So, after a picture for my new staff badge, and a group shot with the whole staff out in front of the school--we were released for our designated "teacher work day." It wasn't twenty minutes later, that all K-3 teachers were required to go into the library for a training or re-training on one of our assessments. I sat there thinking about all I had to do. It urks me that we have so many meetings!!

After a full day of working and meetings--I decided I had to go shopping for more "teacher stuff." I went in for a few specific things and come out with two large bags full. Once I got home I worked on making labels for the files of the new class of kids. I don't mind this mindless stuff that requires little or no thinking, I can do it while in front of the TV. I also wanted to get ready for the testing we do next Friday--so I spent another hour working on the computer.

Finally, I decided to go to bed at 11:30. Now, I'm a night owl--during the summer. But this is something I have to change once school starts. I can no longer stay up past midnight and wake refreshed and ready to go. (I don't really think I ever could, even when I was younger!) So, I get to bed and--I can't get to sleep.

My mind was thinking about all of the things that I wanted and needed to do. I tossed and turned, trying to turn off my mind. This always happens when the school year begins. I go from worrying about which route I'm going to ride the next morning to planning, meetings, and getting every little detail prepared for school. It's a transition that takes some time.

I finally got up and took an Advil PM to help me sleep. I guess I must have slept because I woke up the next morning--but definitely not refreshed!! I was thankful I didn't have to work with kids this day. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep tonight and I've got to stop dreaming about working!!

3 comments:

  1. Heh. I can never sleep before school either. It seems like the earlier I go to bed the later I stay awake. :) My work dreams will probably start Monday. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh... I remember those days. The neighbor across the street from us (years ago) told Allen and me that she always thought that teachers had it made with their schedules ...until she lived across the street from 2 teachers! She was amazed at all the long hours we spend both at school and then at home. She said that we live, breathed, ate, and sleep teaching for 9 months and still went to training, etc during our vacations. Changing perceptions one family at a time...

    ReplyDelete