Saturday, September 3, 2011

Love Labor Day

We're two weeks in and boy was I looking forward to Labor Day weekend. I remember the old days when that signaled the start of the new school year. Now we start so far into August--it seems like the summer is over way too fast.

Well, I survived a fire drill, two massive days of testing, scheduling changes, and then more changes, numerous meetings, antsy kids who think school is over at 2:00 instead of 3:30, Back to School Night and the principal popping in to check for my objectives on the board. (they were not)

We are slowly but surely getting up and running. The kids are starting to learn our routines--after repeating them 3 million times. (is that exaggeration??) There seems to be a nonstop "stream" of kids that need to go to the bathroom. Maybe they just need to get up and move around....or they just have very small bladders! They can't seem to figure out our bathroom passes, either.

Their "I'm on my best behavior" behavior of the first week of school has long gone. They are behaving the way they normally would--trying to rough house when it's time to get ready for home, playing around with grasshoppers during a fire drill, and forgetting to come in from recess when it's over. Nothing too unusual. They are kids. If they only knew how many times I have to suppress a laugh at some of the things they do. Many times I'll just make a joke of it--and hope they get it. If not, I'll have to say it in a non-joking way.

The day seems too long. Our school stamina still needs some work. I have them at the gathering place trying to discuss coins and their values--and I feel like no one is there. My mouth is moving, words are coming out--but they are going out into the atmosphere without being absorbed! I look into a sea of faces and they are all looking around and chatting with one another. I know that's the time when we need to stop. Unfortunately there is still another hour and a half of school left.

That's why we all needed this weekend. I have relaxed and even gotten some exercise in. Now we face a four day week, which doesn't sound bad. It's just that we try to get five days of learning into four. I am going to enjoy what is left of my three day weekend--and try not to think about the multitudes of things I need to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment