Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh My, Where Did the Summer Go?

I went into my classroom today. We don't have to report until next Wednesday, but you can never get everything done in one work day. That's all we have since the others were taken with the furlough days. So, I went in to find everything piled high on my reading table in the middle of the room. It felt....overwhelming. It does every year. Even though I have taught for 26 years--it still feels overwhelming. I will start to have "teacher nightmares" pretty soon.

I immediately counted the desks lined up all pushed together--23. I tried to imagine 5 or 6 more desks in there--and I felt the dread. I thought 22 kids all last year was a challenge--but 28! In the "olden days" that was the norm. They lowered class sizes when the district got a mill levy, years ago. It had been such an awakening and I don't know how I ever taught with 32 kids in my class. We are expected to do more with a lot less. And since we are teachers and care about our kids--we will.

I will be heading to the office supply stores to stock up for my classroom. I will buy markers, and pens, and tons of folders, spiral notebooks, sticky notes, and any other thing I think I must have. I blame the teaching profession for my school supply addiction. I have to admit, my pulse races when I enter a Staples, Office Max or Office Depot. My eyes wander over the endless brightly colored supplies, all wrapped and tempting--just waiting to be purchased. I seem to lack the ability to JUST SAY NO! I picture my future class with bright smiles on their faces just thrilled with their writing folders that I have made, or using the brand new markers in the writing center. That's what drives me to buy.

I have been trying not to think about going back yet. It seems like the summer just zips by. I had an awesome summer--with lots of bike riding, and some new adventures. I didn't go anywhere--not like last summer with my Prague adventure. Now, it's about over and I have to focus on teaching again. It's hard to get my mind back on teaching--it's so all encompassing. It takes over my life and my play time is forgotten. I don't look forward to staying until after 6 pm every night and then doing more work when I get home. Once the kids are seated in my classroom with their new school clothes, cute haircuts and shiny smiles, I'll be okay. But in the meantime....I'm coming back kicking and screaming and trying to get every last drop of playtime out of my Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment