Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Last Months

I quit blogging about my classroom for fear of getting into trouble--but since I'm retiring at the end of this year, I thought I'd do some since I've nothing to lose!! It has been 28 years of teaching for me. I have loved most of it--but lately I see more negatives than positives.

Since the new board members have been elected--teachers are filled with fear and uncertainty. We see the vocation we chose and love changing drastically. We have never felt so disrespected. Our jobs are made out to be glorified babysitters who are overpaid. Scores are all that seems to matter--not the kids. More and more keeps getting dumped on our plates, and we are expected to do it--because "it's what's best for children." That's what's kept us going--but now it's not enough.

After taking pay cuts and salary freezes--we've become the least important part of the equation. How can one keep on teaching when it seems like we're the only ones who care? Teachers are being criticized and "villianized" because we belong to a union?(or professional association) They make it feel wrong to want to stand up for our rights. People who know nothing about education are dictating policy. We are not a business--we are a school. I dare any CEO of a large company to come into our classrooms and do the things we do daily. Teaching is a job of the heart. We have a heart to work with children to help them grow and learn--it's been really much harder when our hearts have been broken.

I'm one of lucky ones who get to retire at the end of this year. My fellow colleagues aren't so lucky. They must deal with the aftermath of this election gone wrong. It's sad to leave my profession feeling this way--but it's no longer the profession I loved.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so sad to hear. Is there a way that the general public can impeach (for lack of better term) the elected board? They seem to be ruining everything you all worked so hard for. I hope we can help.
    Ps your classroom was one if my favorites in all of my elementary years. :)

    ReplyDelete